Centre for Change Governance
Themes include non-departmental public bodies, public enterprise management, privatisation and public-private mixing, small states governance and administrative aspects of natural disaster.
Roger Wettenhall is Professor of Public Administration Emeritus and was previously Head of School of Administrative Studies and then College Fellow in Administrative Studies in Canberra College of Advanced Education and University of Canberra. He was Project Director and then Co-Chairman/Chairman of the Working Group on Public Enterprise Management and the Public-Private Mix of the International Association of Schools and Institutes of Administration from 1983 to 2001, was Editor of the Australian Journal of Public Administration from 1989 to 1995, and now chairs the Management Committee of the Institute of Public Administration Australia/University of Canberra Public Administration Research Trust Fund. He was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 2010.
Stanhope, J., Wettenhall, R., & Bhusal, T. (2016). Governance Challenge: Australia’s Indian Ocean Island Territories, Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration, 38, 2, pp. 87-102
Wettenhall, R. (2016), “From public enterprise through privatisation to public–private mixing – An important Irish contribution”, Administration, 64, 1, pp. 63-74
Wettenhall, R. (2016), ‘Portfolios, Departments and Agencies: Tinkering with the Machinery-of-Government Map’, Australasian Parliamentary Review, 31, 1, pp. 98-116
Wettenhall, R. (2016), “Decolonizing through integration: Australia's off-shore island territories”, Island Studies Journal, 11, 2, pp. 715-728
Reid, R. and Wettenhall, R. (2015), “Shared Services: Is It Not Time for Some Clarity?”, Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Administration, 37, 2, pp. 102-114
- Wettenhall, R. (2014), “Departments and Arm’s Length Bodies”. In Aulich, C., ed., The Gillard Governments, Melbourne, Melbourne University Press, pp. 80-105
- Wettenhall, R. (2014), “Creativity in Establishing a Government System for the ACT”. In Poiner, G., ed., Canberra: Capital and Creativity, Canberra, Independent Scholars Association of Australia Inc., pp. 47-67
- Wettenhall, R. (2014), “Disaster Study, Crisis Study and the Discipline of Public Administration: A Personal Reflection”. In Farazmand, A., ed., Crisis and Emergency Management: Theory and Practice (Second Edition), Boca Raton, CRC Press, pp. 793-803
- Wettenhall, R. (2014). “Inquiries into Disasters – Contrasting Styles and Forms”. In Prasser, S. and Tracey, H., eds., Royal Commissions & Public Inquiries, Ballarat, Connor Court Publishing, pp. 94-111
- Wettenhall, R. (2013: in press), Disaster Study, Crisis Study and the Discipline of Public Administration, in Ali Farazmand (ed.), Handbook of Crisis and Emergency Management, 2nd.edn, New York, Taylor and Francis.
- Wettenhall, R. & Hayllar, M. (2013: in press). As Public Goes Private, Social Emerges: The Rise of Social Enterprise, Public Organization Review.
- Wettenhall, R. (2013: in press). Arm's Length Bodies in the Australian Capital Territory: Time for Review, Australasian Parliamentary Review.
- Wettenhall, R. (2012: in press), Arm’s Length Bodies (ALBs) as Major Agents in Government Service Delivery Programs, Asian Review of Public Administration, 23(1/2).
- Kim, P. & Wettenhall, R. (2012: in press). Editorial Introduction, Asian Review of Public Administration, 23(1/2).
- Wettenhall, R. (2012). A Critique of the 'Administrative Reform Industry': Reform is important, but so is stability, in Challenges to Administrative Reform: Learning from the Past and in Search of Excellence in the Future, 58th EROPA Executive Council and Conference, Jakarta, Indonesia, 28 October--1 November 2012 -- CD published by Eastern Regional Organization for Public Administration, Manila.
- Aulich, C. & Wettenhall, R. (2012). Agencification in Anglo-American Countries: Australia, in Voerhoest, Koen, van Thiel, Sandra, Bouckaert, Geert & Lægreid, Per (eds), Government Agencies: Practices and Lessons from 30 Countries, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 2012: 29-39.
- Wettenhall, R. (2012), Punting on ACTTAB sale, Canberra Times (editorial pages) , 5 January.
- Wettenhall, R. (2012), Submission to Standing Committee on Administration and Procedure Review of Australian Capital Territory (Self-Government) Act 1988 (Cwlth) and Associated Legislation, Submission No.8
- Aulich, C., Wettenhall, R. & Evans, M. (2012). Understandings Integrity in Public Administration: Guest Editors' Introduction, Policy Studies, 33(1): 1-5.
- Wettenhall, R. (2012), Integrity Agencies: The Significance of the Parliamentary Relationship, Policy Studies, 33(1) : 65-78.
- Kim, P. & Wettenhall, R. (2012). Editorial Introduction, Asian Review of Public Administration, 22(2): 1-3.
Research Projects & Grants
Areas of Supervision:
- Themes include non-departmental public bodies
- Public enterprise management
- Privatisation and public-private mixing
- Small states governance and administrative aspects of natural disaster