Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance
Jensen Sass completed his PhD at Yale University in 2016 and is currently a postdoctoral fellow at the Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance at the University of Canberra. He works at the intersection of political sociology and normative political theory with a particular focus on public deliberation, democratic institutions, and the organisational analysis of corporate power.
- 2016. PhD Sociology, Yale University
- 2011. MPhil Sociology, Yale University
- 2009. MPhil Political Science, Australian National University
- December 2015-Present: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance, University of Canberra
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- 2014-2015. Doctoral Fellow, American Council of Learned Societies/Mellon Foundation
2013-2014 Tobin Project Graduate Fellow, http://www.tobinproject.org
- American Sociological Association
- Australian Political Studies Association
- Social Science History Association
- The Australian Sociological Association
- Co-Editor, Policy Briefs, Comparative and Historical Sociology Section, American Sociological Association
Tanasoca, A. and Sass, J. 2019. Ritual Deliberation. The Journal of Political Philosophy. 27 (2), 139-165
JS Dryzek, Q Bowman, J Kuyper, J Pickering, J Sass, H Stevenson. 2019. Deliberative Global Governance. Cambridge Univesity Press, Cambridge.
Sass, J. 2018. Deliberative Ideals Across Diverse Cultures. In Dryzek, J., Chambers, S., Mansbridge, J., and Warren, M. (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Deliberative Democracy. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
Sass, J. 2018. The Cryptonormative Swamp: a Response to Abbott’s ‘Varieties of Normative Inquiry’. The American Sociologist. 49 (3), 448-455
Crosbie, T., and Sass, J. 2017. Governance by scandal? Eradicating Sexual Assault in the US Military. Politics. 37 (2), 117-133
Sass, J. and Dryzek, J.S. 2014. Deliberative Cultures. Political Theory. Vol.42, No.1, pp.3-25.
- Sass, J. and Crosbie, T. 2013. Democracy and Scandal: A Research Agenda. Comparative Sociology. Vol.12, pp.851-862.
Sass, J. 2012. Zygmunt Bauman: Culture in a Liquid Modern World. Theory and Society. 41 (6), 635-640
Dr Sass welcomes PhD proposals on a range of topics that intersect with his research interests.