Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance
Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance
Institute for Governance and Policy Analysis
Connect with Francesco
Francesco Veri is a Postdoctoral fellow at the Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance at the University of Canberra. He is currently working on the Australian Research Council's (ARC) project " A Meta-Study of Democratic Deliberation: Advancing Theory and Practice” led by Simon Niemeyer, Nicole Curato and John Dryzek.
Before moving to Australia, Francesco completed his MA in contemporary history at the university of Fribourg and his PhD dissertation on the extension of citizenship rights in the context of direct democracy at the University of Lucerne.
Francesco is specialized in the field of configurational comparative methods with an emphasis on fuzzy logic applied to social sciences. His methodological research focuses on concept operationalization and strengthening the quality of parameters of fit in set theoretic methods. Francesco is also member of the Lucerne Cluster for Configurational Methods (LUCCS) which regroup scholars who make major contributions to social science methodology at the crossroads between quantitative and qualitative research.
PhD, Political Science, University of Lucerne (2019).
M.A. Contemporary History and Communication Science, University of Fribourg (2005).
Niemeyer, Simon and Francesco Veri (Forthcoming). The Deliberative Reasoning Index. Assessing Deliberation. S. Ercan, N. Curato and H. Asenbaum. Oxford, Oxford University Press.
Veri, Francesco and Hannah Barrowman. (forthcoming). "The added value of configurational meta-analyses". Swiss Political Science Review.
Veri, Francesco. (2021). "Transforming family resemblance concepts into fuzzy sets". Sociological Methods & Research. OnlineFirst
Veri, Francesco. (2020). “Fuzzy multiple attribute conditions in fsQCA: problems and solutions.” Sociological Methods & Research. 49(2): 312-355.
Veri, Francesco. (2019). “Explaining the extension of political rights to foreigners in the context of direct democracy: a fuzzy set QCA of Swiss cantonal referendums”. Politics and Governance. 17(2): In press.
Veri, Francesco. (2019). “Aggregation bias and ambivalent cases: a new parameter of consistency in fsQCA”. Comparative Sociology. 18(2): 229-255.
- Veri, Francesco. (2018). “Coverage in fuzzy-set qualitative comparative analysis (fsQCA): a new fuzzy proposition for describing empirical relevance.” Comparative Sociology 17(2): 133-158.
- Veri, Francesco. (2016). “Minimalist citizenship and national identity in the Australian republican movement.” Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism 16(1): 3-19.
1. Veri, Francesco. "Exploring methodological challenges in deliberative democracy"
2. Veri, Francesco and Jensen Sass. "Does Deliberative Capacity Suppress Radical Actors Political Violence?"
3. Veri, Francesco. "Sequence of Edges Derived from Graphs Inscribed into order_n Venn Diagrams"
4. Veri, Francesco. "The noise of counterfactual analysis in QCA solution terms"
5. Veri, Francesco. "Mapping democratic innovations: a bottom-up empirical perspective"
6. Zeka, Bomikazi and Francesco, Veri. "Retirement Funding Adequacy in South Africa"
7. Veri, Francesco. "Two-sample test for simultaneous subset relationships in Qualitative Comparative Analysis"
8. Veri, Francesco. "Hierarchical Clustering on Principal Components: a new approach to map Deliberative Discourse"
Selected conference papers
Veri, Francesco. Does Deliberative Capacity Suppress Non-State Actors Political Violence? Paper presented at the APSA annual conference, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia (21-23/9/2019)
- Veri, Francesco. Explaining citizenship light in the context of direct democracy. Paper presented at the APSA annual conference, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia (23-25/9/2019)
- Veri, Francesco. Aggregation bias and ambivalent cases: a new parameter of consistency to understand set-theoretic sufficiency in fsQCA. Paper presented at the SISP annual conference, University of Turin, Turin, Italy (6-8/9/2018).
- Veri, Francesco. Dealing with descriptive heterogeneity in fuzzy-set Qualitative Comparative Analysis. Paper to be presented at the ECPR annual general conference. University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany (22-25/8/2018).
- Veri, Francesco. Explaining foreigners’ political rights extension in the context of direct democracy: a fuzzy-set Qualitative Comparative Analysis (fsQCA) of Swiss Cantonal Popular Votes. Paper presented at the SPSA annual conference. University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland (5-6/2/2018).
- Veri, Francesco. A New Fuzzy proposition for describing empirical relevance in QCA. Paper presented at the 5th International QCA Expert Workshop 2017. ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland (13-14/12/2017).
- Veri, Francesco. The extension of citizenship rights in the context of direct democracy: a fuzzy set QCA of European Union related referendums. Paper presented at the APSA annual conference. Monash University, Melbourne, Australia (25-27/9/2017).
- Veri, Francesco. Redesigning conceptual aggregation in set-theoretic methods: fuzzy multiple attribute conditions in fsQCA. Paper presented at the ECPR Joint Sessions of Workshop 2017. University of Nottingham, Nottingham, England (25-30/4/2017).
- Veri, Francesco. Explaining resistance to minority rights in the context of direct democracy: a fuzzy set QCA of referendums. Paper presented at the NZPSA annual conference. Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand (2/12/2015).