National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling (NATSEM)
Faculty of Business, Government & Law
Economics of employment, unemployment, education, training and industrial relations
Phil Lewis is Emeritus Professor of Economics and Director of the Centre for Labour Market Research (CLMR) at the University of Canberra. Phil is among the best-known economists in the area of the economics of employment, education and training in Australia and is the author of over 100 publications including journal articles, book chapters and books including the best-selling Essentials of Economics published by Pearson. Apart from a distinguished academic career he has worked in government and has produced a number of major reports for the private and public sectors. Phil is the editor of the Australian Journal of Labour Economics. He is Past National President of the Economic Society of Australia and Past President of the Western Australian and Canberra branches of the Society. In 2008 he was awarded the Honorary Fellow Award by the Economic Society for his exceptional contribution to the economics profession.
BOOK AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Hubbard, G., Garnett, A., Lewis, P., O’Brien, R. (2015), Essentials of Economics, (Pearson, Sydney).
- Garnett, A. and Lewis, P. (2014), ‘The Economy’, in Aulich, C. The Gillard Governments; Commonwealth Administration 2010-2013, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne.
- Lewis, P. (2014), ‘Paying the Penalty? The High Price of Penalty Rates in Australian Restaurants’, Agenda, Vol 21 no 1, pp 5-23.
- Nugraha, K. & Lewis, P. (2013), ‘The Impact of Taxation on Income Distribution: Evidence from Indonesia.’, Singapore Economic Review, Vol 58, No 4, pp 1-18.
- Corliss, M., Daly, A & Lewis, P. (2013), ‘The Rate of Return to Higher Education over the Business Cycle’, Australian Journal of Labour Economics, Vol 16, No 2, pp219-236 .
- Rafi, B. & Lewis, P. (2013), ‘Indian Higher Education Students in Australia: Their Patterns and Motivations’, Australian Journal of Education, Vol 57, No 2 pp 157–173.
- Nugraha, K. & Lewis, P. (2013), Towards a better measure of income inequality in Indonesia’, Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Vol 49, Issue 1, pp103-112.
- Rafi, B. & Lewis, P. (2012) ‘Testing for the Degree of Economic Integration in ASEAN’, Asia Pacific Journal of Economics and Business, Vol 16, Nos 1 and 2, pp 51-63.
- Lewis, P. & Corliss, M. (2012) ‘Economic Growth and Regional Convergence’, Economics and Business Anthologies, Vol 2, Issue 1.
- Corliss, M. & Lewis, P. (2012) ‘Tradespersons Earnings Over the Business Cycle’, Economic Papers, Vol 31,No 2, pp160-172.