Terrestrial and marine biodiversity governance; novel ecosystems; landscape ecology; science-policy interfaces.
Back to Honorary Appointments
- Chair, Panel reviewing the Intergovernmental Platform Science-policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services;
- Chair, Australian working group on Biosphere Reserves;
- Australian national delegate - Intergovernmental coordinating council for the man and the Biosphere Programme, UNESCO;
- Australian national delegate - Intergovernmental Platform Science-policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services;
- External reviewer EU H2020 grants.
- PhD Panel . Pierrick Chalaye, IGPA.
- Visiting Professor, United Nations University Institute for Advanced Studies, Yokohama (2011 -2014);
- Non-executive Chair, UK-Joint Nature Conservation Committee (2007- 2014) Peterborough, UK;
- Secretary General, Ramsar Convention on wetlands. (2003 – 2007) – Gland, Switzerland;
- Secretary, UNESCO Man and the Biosphere Programme and Director, Division of Ecological Sciences (1999 - 2003) – Paris;
- Chief Science Adviser, Environment Australia, and Supervising Scientist, Alligator Rivers Region (1997 – 99);
- Chief Executive, Australian Nature Conservation Agency (including the statutory appointment of Director National Parks and Wildlife Service) (1990 –1999);
- Chief Scientist, UK Nature Conservancy Council, Peterborough, UK (1989 -1990)
- First Assistant Secretary, Australian Department of the Arts, Sport, the Environment, Tourism and Territories (1988 - 1989)
- Director, Australian Bureau of Flora and Fauna (1982 - 1988)
- Senior Lecturer, Environmental Science, Murdoch University (1977 - 1982)
- Lecturer, Plant Biology, Murdoch University, Western Australia (1976 - 1977)
- Lecturer, Botany, Monash University, Victoria, Australia (1970 - 1975)
- Consultant, Forestry Canada, Newfoundland (1969, 1970)