Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance
Institute for Governance and Policy Analysis (IGPA) at the University of Canberra
Dr Hans Asenbaum is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance at the Institute for Governance and Policy Analysis. His research interests include identity and inclusion in new participatory spaces, digital politics, and theories of deliberative, participatory and radical democracy. His work has been published in the American Political Science Review, New Media & Society, Communication Theory, Politics & Gender, the European Journal of Social Theory, and Political Studies. Hans is Co-convener of the Participatory and Deliberative Democracy Specialist Group of the Political Studies Association in the UK.
After defending his thesis at the University of Westminster, he held a position as Research Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Sustainability Studies in Potsdam, Germany. He has been invited for research visits and public lectures in Germany, Brazil, and Australia and received several grants and scholarships.
- Tutor, Investing and Explaining Society. 2020-present.
- Working Paper Series Editor, Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance, 2021-present
- Asenbaum, H. (2020). Making a Difference: Toward a Feminist Democratic Theory in the Digital Age. Politics & Gender, 16(1), 230–257.
- Mendonça, R. F., Ercan, S. A., & Asenbaum, H. (2020). More than Words: A Multidimensional Approach to Deliberative Democracy. Political Studies, 0(0), 1–20.
- Asenbaum, H. (2020). The Politics of Becoming: Disidentification as Radical Democratic Practice. European Journal of Social Theory, 24(1), 86–104.
- Asenbaum, H. (2019). Rethinking Digital Democracy: From the Disembodied Discursive Self to New Materialist Corporealities. Communication Theory, 0(0), 1–20.
- Asenbaum, H. (2018). Anonymity and Democracy: Absence as Presence in the Public Sphere. American Political Science Review, 112(3), 459–472.
View Hans Asenbaum’s complete list of publications here.
Honours & Awards
- October – November 2019, Visiting Fellowship at the Technical University Berlin, SFB Refiguration of Space
- September – December 2018, Visiting Fellowship at the Finish Centre for Democracy Research, Åbo Akademi, Turku
- July 2018, Globally Engaged Scholarship, University of Westminster, London
- September 2017, Best Paper Award of the ECPR Standing Group on Democratic Innovations, ECPR General Conference, Oslo
- Sept. 2015 – August 2018, PhD Studentship of the Centre for the Study of Democracy, University of Westminster, London
- June 2011, Grant for Short-term Research Abroad, University of Vienna
- February – June 2009, Joint Study Scholarship, University of Vienna