ARC Scholarship in Deliberative Democracy
Call for Applications: PhD Scholarship in Deliberative Democracy
Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance
Institute for Governance and Policy Analysis, University of Canberra
The Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance is accepting applications for a fully-funded PhD Scholarship in Deliberative Democracy.
The scholarship is for three years full time with an annual stipend. Applications are encouraged from Australian and International students.
The successful applicant will be part of an Australian Research Council-funded Discovery Project which includes a meta-study of democratic deliberation with a view to:
- Enhance the conceptual clarity in the field of deliberative democracy
- Set standard for future empirical research in the field of deliberative democracy
- Improve deliberative practice, including the design of minipublic forums
- Develop research infrastructure for open access to data and survey resources to improve the quality of research in the future
More details about the project can be found on the website.
The applicant will be jointly supervised by Simon Niemeyer and Nicole Curato, and will have the opportunity to work with an international team of leading scholars of deliberative democracy including John Dryzek (Canberra), André Bächtiger (Stuttgart) and Mark Warren (British Columbia).
We welcome applicants from all disciplinary backgrounds. Applicants may propose any PhD topic related to deliberative democratic theory and practice, although preference will be given to proposal with greater consistency with the aims of the project (see delibdem.org). Quantitative skills are desirable, but not required.
How to apply
For more information, please contact the project leader simon.niemeyer | at | canberra.edu.au
Formal applications can be sent to IGPAHDRadmin | at | canberra.edu.au containing:
- Brief statement concerning the PhD research proposal (up to 1,000 words)
- 2 referee reports
(Note that an English proficiency test may be required for international applicants from a non-English speaking background. Information about the test can be found at https://ielts.com.au)
- Deadline for application: February 12, 2018.
- Announcement of accepted applicant: February 26, 2018
- Start date: May 1, 2018, with limited flexibility